Monday, January 20, 2014

Tallinn, Historic and Gothic Destinations of Estonia

I never preferred to end up at erstwhile state of Soviet like Estonia and it never had its name on my must see list but then my Aunt who were in conference at Tallinn called me and asked whether I would like to visit the city of Estonia. Although I never had an intention to mark my way there but it was a free trip so I agreed with the same and landed half heartedly within the gulf of the city.


After ending up here I walked straight into my hotel room and from its window I started glaring at the site of the town and all I witnessed was Grey skies, Grey buildings and desolate streets which were same as I have expected the town to be.  

But then a quaint view of red tiled spires elevating the vacant shore and its vibrant charms suddenly made me think was I really correct concluding the features of this town.

The Old Town
As my aunt was working hard at the conference I decided to visit the Old town which is one of the renowned gothic towns in the world. As I was walking at Viru Street where I witnessed pair of enormous towers gave me an impression like I was walking into heart of departed era.

After that I made my way towards the lights of Town hall which was addressed my flee of market square and air cafes as I was walking curiously to see the surroundings I heard tourist guide telling his group that the present site had observe a testimonial execution of priest who was be headed for assassinating the waitress in the late 1600s.

I convinced myself to walk with this guide so I ran after him, since he was guiding his tourist towards the Orthodox Alexander Nevski Cathedral which is an eternal 19th century domed church and it can be considered as city’s tourist symbol.

But the groups he was guiding did not really appreciate the cathedral as it marks the history of soviet oppression so they start mumbling. Minutes later he hoard inside the towering spire and I followed him as he continued to preach that the 13th century Olaf's church was the tallest structure in the world till a couple of centuries ago. Although the century old spires have been frequently tramped by lighting which in turn had led to the downfall of its height, but I was fortunate enough to glide through the top of the tower and the view from there was just awe inspiring.

After we measured the height of the century old cathedral it was time for us to end up at ex-KGB Estonian headquarters outside the Old Town where our guide dramatically started explaining the history and importance of it.  Minute later we all stood outside the gigantic Hotel Viru. Where they explained that very rooms within the line was monitored by the KGB.

The Singing Revolution
During evening I went to visit the song festival ground with my aunt. As she stuck around corned, I took an initiative to see it as the local guy there mentioned that the ground is home to more than 30,000 music artistes. The beginning of singing revolution or the patriot started in 1980s encouraging Estonia's liberation from Russia.

After seeing an arena of singing revolution next day I travelled down to Old Town Square, Tallinn and sat in a café enjoying the beauty of nature. After some minute waiter knocked in with menu where I could clearly see the pamphlet where there were many cultural calls and below it there was list of 250 cultural events, marking Tallinn's Culture Calls which definitely relates the mind that Europe had many reasons to celebrate the eve of cultural and its continuous celebration made it Europe's Cultural Capital for the year and while chilling in I realised it was not me who enjoying the venture but it was Tallinn who was also enjoying the fest.

Highlights
Museum of Occupations: It looks to trace the history of Soviet and Nazi regimes.
Kadriorg Palace: Summer slot of Tsar half of the portion is closed to the public and it is occupied by the office of the president.

Open Air Museum:  it is an open arena of Estonian rural architecture from the Tsarist era.
Getting around: Tallinn is a well connected city and you look to reach anywhere with the help of trams, trolleybuses or taxis.




No comments:

Post a Comment