Friday, September 20, 2013

A Visit to the Peaceful Jammu


Many say that Jammu is not a place to visit, because they believe it is not safe to admire the beauty of its snow covered peaks and amazing lakes, all the time fearing an attack by the terrorist.
I too was among them, until I experienced the peacefulness of the place by myself. The moment I got off the train at Jammu Tawi station, I got surprised to find the place filled with gun-carrying soldiers. However they were not present there to frighten the visitors, but to help them in finding their way in the city.
My first visit after the hotel was the Bahu fort. It was built by Raja Bahulochan almost three centuries ago, the fort stands towering on a single rock, looking over the Tawi River.



 Though, most of the part of the fort is under renovation at present, the Kali temple located inside is the main attraction for tourists.
 At the outlines of the fort are the nicely crafted terrace garden, Bagh-e-Bahu, and an underground aquarium. The place features around 300 varieties of fresh and marine water fishes, including a video library, laboratory and a gallery.
Jammu is called the City of Temples as the place features several ancient temples including the Raghunath Mandir, Peer Kho Cave and Shivkori.
I knew that my tour would not be complete without visiting the Vaishno Devi Temple. So, to avoid the hustle, I began early and reached Katra, the base camp from where the trek to Trikuta Hills commences. Though air service is also available, it is advised to verify with the authorities before you book one as the weather is unpredictable of this place. Well, I decided to trek my way to the top, which is 14 km, so I started walking upon the carefully placed concrete path, bordered by railings. Along the way there are numerous bhojanalay, run by the Shrine Board, which provides hygienic food at cheap cost, for the tired travellers.
The remaining stay, I spent visiting the Mansar Lake, which is bounded by dense forests and observatory decks that can be used for bird watching. Other places include Amar Mahal Palace Museum, which is possibly the best examples of French architecture in Jammu, Mubarak Mandi Palace and the Dogra art museum.



No comments:

Post a Comment